[Freeipa-devel] IPA install with DNS

Hi,

Rob I think it is time for us to put down some writeup about the DNS,
/etc/hosts, static and dynamic IPs etc.
It seems there is a lot of confusion and uncertainty. Please create a
page. It should describe how with the current IPA software someone can
achieve the following:

1) Setup IPA as a new DNS server and host name different from the actual
current host name
What is the sequence of operations? What needs to be in the /etc/hosts?
Give examples

2) Same but in the case of other DNS server present

3) Replica installation

Please add examples of the contents of the hosts file, command line etc.
These are just examples of the use cases, there are definitely more. I
hope Michael will help to come with the scenarios we need to describe.

I will open a ticket for this work.

Also looking closely at our setup: why do we need IP address argument?
Is it ever used anywhere? Where and why? Is it just to create a DNS
entry? Is so man page should probably explain that it is used only in
case DNS is installed. Anywhere else?
I agree we should do the IP address validation and it should support
both IPv4 & IPv6.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal