[Freeipa-devel] Should we remove the reset button?

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Mon Oct 25 13:50:53 UTC 2010

On 10/25/2010 08:23 AM, Ben Dubrovsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sympathetic to the argument that Nielsen makes about reset.
>
> One thing to consider, however, is that he's arguing from a point of view that differentiates applications from web pages -- that when people are using the web, they are in a different kind of environment from applications, and therefore, "back" is equivalent to "reset".  His argument relies on the idea that most people will easily and definitively understand the affordances of the web, vs those of an application.
>
> I'm not so sure I agree with that.  I think we're blurring the line between web site and application, and our users will be really focused on their work -- they may be conditioned to think "application" for LDAP type management, even though the delivery is in a browser.
>
> That said -- I'm OK removing the "reset" button as a device, but would still like to have the functionality to support the case where a user says, "Ah - darn.  I was looking at the wrong piece of paper, and I have to start over again quickly."

Yeah.  And considering that Back for this would take you to search (most
likely) but not to a blank form, probably doesn't equate.  I'm going to
suggest that we spread the buttons out a bit, and get the rest out of
the "good" area of the screen so that it doens't get hit by accident.

I've bee nreading a bit through the history of Nielsen's blog.  He has
some interesting points.  One that I think is very interesting is his
idea about mege menus:

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/mega-dropdown-menus.html

THere seems to be a pretty good implementation for JQuery, so if we
decided to go that way, it wouldn't be that bad.  I think that they
would make our Nav a little bit cleaner, as we kindof make things tricky
with the multi level tabs.

Before we made any changes like that, though, I would like to have some
usability testing done.  Is there any way we could co-opt a few people
for, say, 1/2 an hour and run them through doing the bascis, and get
feedback on how easy/hard it is to use our UI?  Even if it has been done
before, it hasn't been done with the working product, and I think it
would be even more valuable if those of us on the UI implementation team
could witness it, even if only virtually.

Just some ideas for post 2.0