[Freeipa-devel] A lazy programmer gets tired of git format-patch

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Fri Sep 17 15:26:12 UTC 2010

On 09/17/2010 11:12 AM, John Dennis wrote:
> On 09/17/2010 10:57 AM, Adam Young wrote:

>>> Attached is my python script to do something similar. It keeps all the
>>> patches I've generated in a patch directory, numbers them, sends them
>>> as a properly formatted email (optional).
>
>> Thanks, John.  I'll make it non 'John Dennis Specific' and post online,
>> if you don't mind.
>
> Sure, no problem. I think the only jdennis stuff is in the config
> table, the thinking was someone else could just edit the default
> config values for their private copy. But if you were feeling
> ambitious maybe it could read the config from a .ini file in $HOME
> using Python's config parser module.
>
> Also I noticed a cut-n-paste error in the usage function, the example
> was left over from something else, should be deleted.

Think I'll let you hack it, as I am not in Python mode at the moment:

Most of the values should be accessable from git config, or via reading
the git config file

git config --get user.email

You can get the home directory from $HOME,
$HOME/.gitconfig

So I started playing with thuis, and you can do:

$ git config --add user.patchnum 5
$ git config --get user.patchnum
5