[Freeipa-devel] Summary of Session discussion

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Thu May 26 21:36:31 UTC 2011

On 05/26/2011 05:23 PM, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 05/26/2011 05:19 PM, Adam Young wrote:
>> The term "Session global" is a little weird.  If you mean that
>> multiple requests in the same session can talk to the same cursor,
>> then yes.  Global implies multiple people can talk to it at once, and
>> I do not mean that.
> One cursor per session. The session is per user per connection. It is
> one global cursor for a session not a hash table or list of different
> cursors within a session. The latter IMO is not needed and an overhead.
> If you can't have session per connection then you would have to do what
> Simo suggests.
>
> So this brings me to the next point: Are all connections from one host
> started by the same user share the same session? If this is the case
> then .... uh ... bad ... than the hash is in fact needed. But this is
> really scary...

That is the usual implementation.  If I have a browser open, I want all
of the requests made from that browser to go through the same session.
If I have two browsers, say firefox and chrome, then they will have two
different sessions.  HTTP does not maintain a connection across mutliple
requests...with a few exceptions, mostly to streamline the download of
graphics etc for a single page.  From a WebUI perspective, each JSON
request would want to use the same session.