[Freeipa-devel] Unifying the PKI and IPA Directory Server instances

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Nov 1 16:40:22 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----

> We had a brief discussion on unifying the PKI and IPA Directory
> Server instances. Here are my notes from it. Please fill out the
> details and correct me if I've mis-stated anything below.
>

> Issues:

Do IPA and PKI use different suffixes?

>     1.
>
> Both make changes to Config. One identified conflict is he
> configuration of the Uniqueness plugin

It may be easy to enhance this plugin and other plugins to allow different configuration per subtree.

>     2.
>
> PKI uses Directory Manager. This is insecure. Can it use a differen,
> limited admin?

Or use ldapi?  I don't think ldapjdk can use ldapi.

>     3.
>
> Index strategies are different

Use a union?  e.g. if ipa needs attribute "a" indexed for equality only, but PKI needs it indexed for presence and substring only, then we can just index it for eq, sub, and pres.

>     4.
>
> make sure we have a union of the required sets of plugins
>     5.
>
> PKI needs to set D.S. Default Name context

What is this?

>     6.
>
> If PKI uses the IPA datastore for users, it needs to creat the user
> with all the right prerequisites (object class, defaults)

If both PKI and IPA use structural objectclasses, we may have to create corresponding auxiliary objectclasses so that you can mix-in both sets of objectclasses while having only one structural objectclass per entry.