[Freeipa-devel] Mozilla Specific User Certificate Generation code:

Adam Young adam at younglogic.com
Mon Oct 3 23:38:08 UTC 2011

It is possible to generate a Certificate signing request from the
browser, if we use Mozilla specific code.  I've mildly hacked the
Mozilla sample code to work with JQuery and to display the CSR to the
screen, instead of sending it right to the server.

I'd see this working something like this:

1.  add the certificate attribute to the user plugin.
2.  On the user page, if the principal of the user selected matches the
kerberos principal for the logged user, show the certificate control
3.  The certificate control allows the user to request a new certificate.
4.  If the user has a certificate, the certificate control allow  the
user to download the certificate.

I have to look into the details, but the certificate shoud only be
useable by default in the browser that originally requested it.
However, it is fairly easy to export the certificate, along with the
primary keys that generated its CSR, such that it would be usable
elsewhere: For example https://ca.cern.ch/ca/Help/?kbid=040111

This seems like fairly simple to implement.  We would not even have to
extend the API.  We keep the certificate request separate from the user
until it is signed, and then add it to the user object.  Thus it would
be created as a side effect of:

  ipa cert-request --add --principal=abradley at DEV.EXAMPLE.COM abradley.csr