[Freeipa-devel] Mozilla Specific User Certificate Generation code:

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Tue Oct 4 13:32:15 UTC 2011

Adam Young wrote:
> It is possible to generate a Certificate signing request from the
> browser, if we use Mozilla specific code. I've mildly hacked the Mozilla
> sample code to work with JQuery and to display the CSR to the screen,
> instead of sending it right to the server.
>
> I'd see this working something like this:
>
> 1. add the certificate attribute to the user plugin.
> 2. On the user page, if the principal of the user selected matches the
> kerberos principal for the logged user, show the certificate control
> 3. The certificate control allows the user to request a new certificate.
> 4. If the user has a certificate, the certificate control allow the user
> to download the certificate.
>

> I have to look into the details, but the certificate shoud only be
> useable by default in the browser that originally requested it. However,
> it is fairly easy to export the certificate, along with the primary keys
> that generated its CSR, such that it would be usable elsewhere: For
> example https://ca.cern.ch/ca/Help/?kbid=040111
>
> This seems like fairly simple to implement. We would not even have to
> extend the API. We keep the certificate request separate from the user
> until it is signed, and then add it to the user object. Thus it would be
> created as a side effect of:
>
> ipa cert-request --add --principal=abradley at DEV.EXAMPLE.COM abradley.csr

Yes, CRMF is how we'll eventually add user certificate support, but this
is the easy part.

On the server side we need to add support for multiple certificate
profiles (your above request issues a server cert for the user abradley).

We also need a way to manage a queue of requests. User certificates are
a different beast from server certs and in many cases will require the
intervention of a security officer, or some other 3rd party verification.

rob