[Freeipa-devel] [DHCP] tree layout options

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Tue Dec 11 13:25:42 UTC 2012

On 11/01/2012 04:43 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-07-19 at 22:20 +0930, William Brown wrote:
>> Find attached two different ldifs showing how the tree for DHCP services
>> could be layed out. I personally prefer 2 due to the way that
>> sharedNetwork segments can be named uniquely in a location without
>> clashing with another location. The way that ISC-DHCP generates the
>> config is through essentially a depth-first subtree search of the
>> objects below the dhcpService object (In this case, cn=pultney). Due to
>> this, I think the best way to split ipv4 and ipv6 due to the conflicting
>> DHCP options, would be to make cn=locations,cn=v4,cn=isc,cn=dhcp and
>> cn=locations,cn=v6,isc,cn=dhcp OR
>> cn=locations4,cn=isc,cn=dhcp and cn=locations6,cn=isc,cn=dhcp
>>
>> Additionally, the option1 config does not at this time work with the
>> ISC-DHCP server. It seems there is a bug in that it can parse the
>> dhcpSharedNetworkDN attributes, and push them to a stack to follow them,
>> but never parses the contents of them. Option 2 works, and generates a
>> configuration for the networks and subnets correctly, but does not add
>> any dhcpHost objects not the dhcpFailOverPeer information. I am
>> investigating both.

Hello list,

I do not really follow the discussion, but I accidentally found some old IETF
documents related to DHCP<->LDAP integration.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dhc-schema-02 (Microsoft, 2000)
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dhc-ldap-schema-00 (Novell, 2001)

I have met various texts about DHCP-LDAP integration in Novell's "Open
Enterprise Server 11"/eDirectory documentation. Is somebody familiar with this
aspect of eDirectory? Should we think about some interoperability? I don't
know if there are some stand-alone tools for DHCP LDAP administration.

Some docs:
http://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/pdfdoc/ntwk_dnsdhcp_lx/ntwk_dnsdhcp_lx.pdf

--
Petr^2 Spacek