[Freeipa-devel] Adding Debian support to the FreeIPA code

Krzysztof Klimonda kklimonda at syntaxhighlighted.com
Tue Feb 28 16:26:33 UTC 2012

On 02/27/2012 10:25 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-02-26 at 21:41 +0200, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
>>
>> Hi Krzysztof,
>>
>> first thank you for bringing up the topic of wider use of FreeIPA on
>> different platforms.
>
> Thanks a lot indeed.
>
> The plan looks good, the only thing I'd like to stress is that we need
> to shot at maintainability and as little overhead as possible from the
> development side when it comes to dealing with platform-specific code.
>
> This means we need to make sure that the main configuration logic remain
> the same and there is as little replication necessary as needed in the
> instance classes. We do not want to get into a situation where changing
> httpinstance.py means rewriting the same change for every platform, just
> slightly different. Otherwise we will get one right and all the others
> will fall apart.
>
> Simo.

[re-sending the email to freeipa-devel@ after my client's failure to
choose the proper address]

Hey,
 Thanks for your comments. I agree that we should aim at making changes
as easy to maintain in the long run, for the reason you've already
mentioned.

 The amount of platform-specific code will vary from one instance to
another. For example ntp daemon configuration differences between
Fedora/RHEL and Debian are cosmetic at best (different pool, some files
and variable names move around but that's about it), on the other hand
we have httpinstance.py which from my short read will require either
substantial changes for integrating it with Debian, or diverging from
how Debian handles configuration.

Actually httpinstance.py may be the worst case, other modules look much
more manageable, differences mostly limited to the location of various
config files.