[Freeipa-devel] Unit tests failing on F18

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Fri Oct 12 15:20:22 UTC 2012

Hello,

I was investigating global unit test failure on Fedora 18 for most of today, I
would like to share results I found so far.

Unit test and its related scripts on F18 now reports NSS BUSY exception, just
like this one:

# ./make-testcert
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./make-testcert", line 134, in <module>
    sys.exit(makecert(reqdir))
  File "./make-testcert", line 111, in makecert
    add=True)
  File "./make-testcert", line 68, in run
    result = self.execute(method, *args, **options)
  File "/root/freeipa-master2/ipalib/backend.py", line 146, in execute
    raise error #pylint: disable=E0702
ipalib.errors.NetworkError: cannot connect to
'http://vm-042.idm.lab.bos.redhat.com/ipa/session/xml': [Errno -8053]
(SEC_ERROR_BUSY) NSS could not shutdown. Objects are still in use.

Something In F18 must have changed, this worked before... But leaked
NSSConnection objects without proper close() now ends with the exception above.

In case of make-testcert script, the exception is raised because the script
does the following procedure:

1) connect, do one command
2) disconnect
3) connect, do second command

However, during disconnect, NSSConnection is leaked which makes NSS very
uncomfortable during second connection atempt (and nss_shutdown()). I managed
to fix this issue with attached patch. ./make-testcert or "./make-test
tests/test_xmlrpc/test_group_plugin.py" works fine now.

But global "./make-test" still fails, I think there is some remaining
NSSConnection leak, I suspect there is something wrong with how we use our
context (threading.local object). It looses a connection or some other thread
invoked in ldap2 module may be kicking in, here is my debug output:

CONTEXT[xmlclient] = <ipalib.request.Connection object at 0x9a1f5ec>

Test a simple LDAP bind using ldap2 ... SKIP: No directory manager password in
/root/.ipa/.dmpw
Test the `ipaserver.rpcserver.jsonserver.unmarshal` method. ... ok
tests.test_ipaserver.test_rpcserver.test_session.test_mount ... CONTEXT
150714476: GET languages

CONTEXT[xmlclient] = None

The connection is in the context, but then something happens and it is gone.
Then, unit tests try to connect again and NSS fails.

I would be really glad if somebody with a knowledge of NSS or how threads in
Python/IPA work could give me some advice...

Thanks!
Martin