[Freeipa-devel] A new proopsal for Location Based Discovery

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Fri Apr 5 15:39:24 UTC 2013

On 5.4.2013 16:32, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-04-05 at 14:54 +0200, Petr Spacek wrote:

>>> This is what I would expect too.
>>> If no 'custom' record are available fallback to global records,
>> What is the difference between 'global records' and 'classic SRV records'?
>
> _ldap._tcp._location.example.com
> vs
> _ldap._tcp.example.com

I don't see any definition of the 'global' name _location.domain.com. in the
design document [1].

What is the meaning of this 'global' record?
Is it site-specific?
If it isn't site-specific, why we need it?
If it is site-specific, how it will be configured/generated? You proposed to
generate artificial record '_location.example.com' only if parent name
('example.com') contains A/AAAA record, but that is not mandatory for zone origin.

We should keep number of queries at minimum, so I would not add any 'global'
records and other layers of indirection without very very good reason.

You know, each query adds latency and network load. Some caching for
non-existing records is more than good idea. We should not try to lookup
_locations.client.domain and _location.domain during each domain lookup (in
case where it is not configured, of course :-).

[1] http://www.freeipa.org/page/V3/DNS_Location_Mechanism

--
Petr Spacek