[Freeipa-devel] FreeIPA string freeze

Jérôme Fenal jfenal at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 16:26:58 UTC 2013

Le 10/04/2013 14:27, Yuri Chornoivan a écrit :
> Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:37:10 +0300 було написано Petr Viktorin
> <pviktori at redhat.com>:
>
>> On 04/08/2013 05:54 PM, Yuri Chornoivan wrote:
>>> написане Mon, 08 Apr 2013 18:45:30 +0300, Petr Viktorin

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Surely, it would be good to have fixes now (as well as some announce in
>>> trans at lists.fedoraproject.org ).
>>>
>>> And I'm all of the Jèrôme's proposal. It is enough to have updates
>>> every
>>> 3-4 months. That will make the translation process significantly
>>> easier.
>>>

>> Okay. I've pushed the updates to Transifex (7 new strings, expect a
>> couple more), and I'll do some more frequent updates in the future.
>
> Thanks for your work.

And you have my thank you as well.
As we tend to agree for at least two mostly/fully translated languages,
I'd say that yes, regular updates (could be every 2 or 3 or 4 weeks to
have strings to translate, but not too many in a row) would be easier
for everybody to catch up.

>> I've lurked on trans at lists.fedoraproject.org for a while and haven't
>> seen many announcements from projects. Is it the right list to
>> communicate string freezes/deadlines/releases?
>
> Yes. This is the right list for Fedora translation announces.
> Personally, I do not know why other Fedora Upstream projects do not
> announce their translation dates in this list. It is easy to send a
> message there and target Fedora translation coordinators of many
> languages at once.
>
> Yes, it might happen that you will not obtain much translations at
> once, but I cannot imagine the other way to contact new translators.
>
> Such strategy (regular announces in translator's mailing lists) works
> fine in many projects (KDE, GNOME, Audacity etc.) It's a win-win
> situation. You cannot lose if you make even one-sentence announces and
> do it regularly.
What could be done here is to show some role model.
While it is good for translators, some projects may also rely on the
fact that their own translators catch up by subscribing to their own
project updates in Transifex, which gives them the go to translate
remaining strings. This is for instance how it works for a few ones in
the French team.

But I also agree that broadly announced strings freezes, and broad and
regular calls to contributions will get further attention for languages
that do not have yet the level of contributions Ukrainian or French
currently have.

Last item, I've been quite busy by day work these days, but I'm also
working on a way to automate splitting huge strings such as the plugins
help/usage pages in smaller chunks (a 15 min
draft of the script seems to work for those plugins, attached if you
want to have a look at it). I did not test it yet to see the final
result, and I also need to work on doing the same on the .po files in
order to avoid manually splitting the translations.

I will keep you posted here when I have something.

Regards,

J.