[Freeipa-devel] Redesigning LDAP code

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Fri Jan 11 14:55:01 UTC 2013

John Dennis wrote:
> On 01/11/2013 09:10 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>> Petr Viktorin wrote:
>>> We had a small discussion off-list about how we want IPA's LDAP handling
>>> to look in the future.
>>> To continue the discussion publicly I've summarized the results and
>>> added some of my own ideas to a page.
>>> John gets credit for the overview (the mistakes & WTFs are mine).
>>>
>>> The text is on http://freeipa.org/page/V3/LDAP_code, and echoed below.
>>>

>> IIRC some of the the python-ldap code is used b/c ldap2 may require a
>> configuration to be set up prior to working. That is one of the nice
>> things about the IPAdmin interface, it is much easier to create
>> connections to other hosts.
>
> Good point. But I don't believe that issue affects having a common API
> or a single point where LDAP data flows through. It might mean having
> more than one initialization method or subclassing.

Right. We may need to decouple from api a bit. I haven't looked at this
for a while but one of the problems is that api locks its values after
finalization which can make things a bit inflexible. We use some nasty
override code in some place but it isn't something I'd want to see
spread further.

rob