[Freeipa-devel] [RFE] Integration testing

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Tue Jun 4 19:48:10 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 02:05:09PM +0200, Petr Viktorin wrote:
> Hello,
> A design document for integration testing is available at
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/V3/Integration_testing. I've copied it below for
> easier quoting.
>

> __NOTOC__
>
> = Overview =
>
> Make it possible to write and run multi-host integration tests (such as:
> install master & replica, add user on replica, verify it's added on master).
>
> These tests will be run from continuous integration.
> Any developer can also run them manually.
>
> = Use Cases =
>
> == Continuous integration ==
>
> The developer team at Red Hat will run a Jenkins continuous integration
> server
> that will run the tests automatically (after each commit if resources are
> available).
>
> The CI results will be posted publicly.
>
> == Developer testing ==
>
> Anyone is be able to run integration tests without advanced infrastructure,
> only a number of virtual machines to run the tests on is needed.
>
> == Beaker integration ==
>
> The tests will run seamlessly inside [http://beaker-project.org/
> Beaker]/[https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/RHTS RHTS].
> A special option enables reporting via BeakerLib.
>
> = Non-goals =
>
> A complete testing/continuous integration setup needs some steps that will
> not
> be included in IPA's test suite:
>
> * Building the code
> * VM provisioning
>     <!--
>     There are just too many disparate ways to do it; people
>     with a virtual datacenter should already have a preferred tool.
>     If we come up with something for ourselves we'll have to make too many
>     assumptions for it to be useful somewhere else.
>     -->
> * Configuring the basic system, installing the packages
>     <!--
>     Again support for this can be added in the future.
>     (Release Puppet/Ansible configuration?)
>     -->
>
> = Design=
>
> The Python package with the IPA test suite is renamed to <tt>ipatests</tt>,
> and
> packaged for RPM-based systems as <tt>freeipa-tests</tt>.
> Eventually the package will be included in Fedora.
>
> Integration tests will be controlled from a single machine, and executed
> on a number of "remote" machines that act as servers, replicas, clients,
> etc.
> The controlling machine communicates with the others via the SSH protocol.
> (The controlling machine may be the same as one of the "remote" ones.)
>
> Integration tests are included in the main IPA set suite, and configured
> using
> environment variables. If the variables are missing, all integration tests
> are
> skipped.
> [...]

How much is the test library tied to IPA? I'd like to reuse it for SSSD
tests, obviously those tests that would be able to run against an IPA
server could be easy, but what about tests that require some other
custom LDAP server? Would the library allow rolling out a more generic
server or would we need to set up a "stable" machine which the tests
would connect to?