[Freeipa-devel] Configuring FreeIPA with JBoss EAP

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Fri Jun 7 13:21:28 UTC 2013

On 06/07/2013 08:58 AM, Martin Kosek wrote:
> Hello Jan a Peter, freeipa-devel users,
>
> There was recently a project of integrating FreeIPA server with Jboss EAP. One
> of the results of this project should be a script able to conveniently
> configure JBoss EAP on a machine to use FreeIPA as an identity&authentication
> backend.
>
> What I would like to find out is what would be the best place to store&maintain
> such script. AFAIK, JBoss EAP did not want to keep the configuration script
> with their project - can you Peter please share the reasons for it? I was
> thinking it would be then easier to maintain the script according to JBoss EAP
> releases.
>
> Second option would be to deploy the script with FreeIPA project. Then, they
> would also conform to FreeIPA release schedule and not JBoss ones. So I was
> pondering where should we put scripts like this one, it is quite a specific
> script, so I do not want to keeping it with freeipa-client package.
>
> In this case I would propose creating a new optional subpackage
> "freeipa-client-jboss" which would include all scripts/docs for the JBoss EAP
> integration (may extend in future). In future, there may also come more
> thematic FreeIPA integration scripts when they cannot be stored in relevant
> upstream projects.
>
> Any ideas? Is the correct approach to keep configuration scripts for other
> upstream projects?

There are two parts of the question:
1) Code aspect
2) RPM/SRPM aspect

IMO the code can live in IPA git repo in a separate directory or be a
completely separate source code project.
We can start with IPA repo and spin it off like we did with the
ding-libs if we see a need.

As for packaging IMO it should be a separate SRPM (or a part of IPA for
now) and produce a separate rpm that should be conditionally installed
if IPA client and EAP are installed on the same system. I wonder if rpm
can do that? Sounds like a conditional require (if something like this
is possible).

2c.