[Freeipa-devel] Internationalized domain names in freeIPA

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Nov 5 16:53:38 UTC 2013

On 11/05/2013 11:13 AM, Martin Basti wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm working on ticket: https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3169
> UTF-8 DNS names will be converted to punycode ASCII string and stored
>
> But there is a question, how to show DNS names to user (in UI or
> dnsrecord-show/find):
> * show them in punycode
> * convert them to UTF-8 and show
> * both ways
> * add options to show them in UTF-8
>
> I'll be thankful for your opinion.

We have a rule that all strings use UCS and that UCS be interchanged by
encoding UCS text in UTF-8. Therefore it seems to me the only time
punycode should ever exist is when it's necessary to encode/decode
punycode for dns operations. Since punycode is a standard Python codec
this should be trivial, you just need to determine where you do the
encode/decode (perhaps also validating user input can be successfully
encoded).

--
John