[Freeipa-devel] Reminder: Patchwork

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Thu Oct 31 18:50:21 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-10-31 at 19:26 +0100, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 06:52:10PM +0100, Ana Krivokapic wrote:
> > Hello IPA developers,
> >
> > I would like to remind everyone about our Patchwork instance[1]. This tool helps
> > us to better coordinate work and be more efficient, so let's try to remember to
> > use it consistently. It takes only a few seconds of extra work per patch
> > submission/review, which could potentially save us much more time. It is
> > especially useful to mark the patch as 'Under Review' when you start reviewing
> > it, so that others are aware of it and they don't start reviewing the same
> > patch. That way, we can avoid the situation of two people accidentally doing the
> > review of the same patch at the same time.
> >
> > I have just cleaned up the Patchwork instance as best as I could so it should
> > now hopefully reflect the real situation on the state of patches.
> >
> > We also have some instructions on how to use it on our wiki[2].
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > [1] https://patchwork.acksyn.org/project/FreeIPA/list/
> > [2] http://www.freeipa.org/page/Contribute/Code#Tracking_patches_.28Experimental.29
>
> Does setting the patch state with "X-Patchwork-Status:" header work for
> anyone? I haven't tried it recently, but it would be a nice improvement.

I thought I had enabled it, ping me tomorrow morning (EST) if it doesn't
work and we can test it.

> Currently I update all SSSD reviews manually which is a bit tedious.
> With a sane e-mail client (*cough*mutt*cough*), one can add a header
> with one keystroke.
>
> btw I also found out that automatically marking the patch as Pushed only
> works for me some times. I'm not sure about the pattern, but it happens
> more often for patches that are pushed to multiple branches. Do other
> developers see the same?

It matches the patch using a sha hash, so if you do things like
stripping automatically stripping whitespaces with git am or the sender
uses a different mode to generate the diff (like presence or absence of
--patience) it may fail to recognize the patch.

Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York