[Freeipa-devel] [RFE] Support for automember rebuild membership

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Thu Sep 12 19:46:51 UTC 2013

On 09/12/2013 03:23 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Dmitri Pal wrote:
>> On 09/12/2013 01:59 PM, Ana Krivokapic wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The design document for $SUBJECT can be found at:
>>> http://www.freeipa.org/page/V3/Automember_rebuild_membership
>>>
>>> Related tickets:
>>> https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3752
>>> https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3928
>>>
>>> Thoughts, comments, questions welcome.
>>>
>> The names for commands are a bit long.
>> I am not sure we need all the commands.
>>
>> $ ipa automember-rebuild-membership --type=group
>>
>> I do not understand why type is "group".
>> If you say that all the user group memberships will be rebuilt then the
>> type is "user".
>> But then you can really not have the command at all and use just:
>>
>> ipa user-automembership
>> and
>> ipa host-automembership
>>
>> If in future we have other objects we would add another command for
>> those objects.
>>
>> so
>> ipa user-automembership --update
>> will update group memberships for all users, or may be it should be
>> ipa user-automembership --update *
>> (I do not know what are the rules in the framework, we should follow
>> them)
>>
>> ipa user-automember --update LOGIN
>> will update group memberships for a specific user
>>
>> Now we need to differentiate --update and --reset
>> --update should update group membership based on the existing filters,
>> i.e. based on the automember plugin configuration only add missing
>> memberships (if any)
>> --reset should clean existing memberships and rebuild them based only
>> the default groups + automember. It should pretty much mean "make group
>> memberships as if the user was just added".
>>
>> Makes sense or I am missing something?
>
> Her design is consistent with the current automember commands.

What are they?

> I think I'd drop the -membership part though, automember-rebuild is
> sufficient. For user/host perhaps user-automember-rebuild.
>
> I disagree with your update/reset suggestions.

We can have a separate RFE for reset but I think it would make sense for
the cases when user moves from one org unit to another or moves from
intern to full time.
In this case I expect something like
1) Update user "class" attribute
2) Run automember reset

> Unless a user is doing ALL of its group/hostgroup management via
> automember rules then the reset command will almost always do the
> wrong thing.

No it is need for the case when you need to get to the state as if this
user was just added without actually deleting and re-addign the user.
Use case like I mentioned above are examples.

> This could raise all sorts of strange permission issues too, as we'd
> have to use the currently bound user to do the group membership
> removal. We can separately add delegation to create an automember
> rebuild task, and that runs as DM IIRC.

I agree that this would probably be a different task, like delete and
rebuild. This I think we should create a separate ticket for reset and
file and RFE with DS. It is not urgent but will become handy when we
start supporting user lifecycle management and provisioning

> I think I prefer rebuild to update, though update is probably a better
> description to what is happening under the hood.

I do not have a preference.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal