[Freeipa-devel] Multiple CA certificates in LDAP, questions

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at redhat.com
Mon Sep 9 16:02:30 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 10:32:08AM -0400, John Dennis wrote:
> Good point. Isn't there an X509 extension (possibly part of PKIX?) which
> restricts membership in the chain path to a criteria. In other words you
> can require your sub-CA to be present in the chain. Sorry, but my memory
> is a bit fuzzy on this.

If you're talking about Name Constraints, they seem to be geared more
toward allowing a CA to limit what a sub CA that it issues can be
trusted to do, and not the other way around.

I don't think I know of anything that deals with this that doesn't
eventually end up setting up library-specific configuration for the
library that's going to be verifying the certificate.

Nalin