[Freeipa-devel] Multiple CA certificates in LDAP, questions

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Sep 9 20:10:29 UTC 2013

I would strongly argue for a separate CA list for PKINIT (service or workstation login) vice HTTP (web browsing of semi-unknown sites).  The trust models are fundamentally different.

In the former case you are saying who is allowed to issue (conceivably fraudulent) client certs that allow (conceivably fraudulent) users to access local services or workstations.  In my case I have PIV cards with certs issued by one of a number of US Gov organizations that mostly trace to the Federal Bridge.  Allowing certs issued by a hostile foreign government is clearly a very bad idea.

In the latter case you are probably dealing with the a general desire to know that there is some attestation by someone that the web site you are visiting is actually what you intended.  You may be visiting the web site of an agency of a hostile foreign government, in which case that government's CA is exactly what you want to "trust".  You might even want a control that prohibits any "friendly" CA from issuing certs for that web site.

Large lists of trusted CAs represent attack surface, however convenient they may make some things.  Whatever the defaults are, we need tools that allow us to model our actual trust for the specific operations we are performing.  In an Enterprise environment accessing local services should only be allowed if they use the corresponding local CA.