[Freeipa-devel] OpenLMI integration

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Aug 19 15:31:53 UTC 2014

Seeing all the blue lines of CIM <--> DBus I thought I would remind
folks that the realmd cim provider has a nice DBus module that sits
between the extremely low level DBus API and the very high level DBus
GObject/GType API. In other words it lets you do things in C code which
uses gVariants, etc. *without* having pull in the entire GObject/GType
complexity.

I always thought this should be a separate library so others who have to
code DBus in C could use it. [1] As Goldilocks said "It's not too small,
it's not too big, it's just right" :-)

[1] Writing DBus in C can be tedious and frustrating because you're
forced to use either something really primitive or something
extraordinarily complicated (unless you happen to be a Gnome guru and
totally grok the entire GObject/GType pseudo objected-orientated class
framework that you have to code to). If the DBus interface you're coding
to includes things like variants I think you'll appreciate the middle
approach.
--
John