[Freeipa-devel] DNSSEC design page

Ludwig Krispenz lkrispen at redhat.com
Tue Feb 18 13:02:59 UTC 2014

Hi,

yesterday jan asked me about the status of the schema and if it would be
ready for certificate storage an dthat puzzled me a bit and showed that
I still do not really understand what you want to store in LDAP.
Two me there are two very different approaches.

1] LDAP as store for high level objects like certs and keys
For certs and related stuff there is rfc4523 and the schema for ldif
exists. For keys we would decide if the key is stored in PKCS#8 format
or as bind keypairs and define a key attribute and that's it. we could
export keys with softhsm, (eventually convert them) and add to ldap, in
the long term solution the PKCS#11 replacemnt would need to manage these
high level objects

2] low level replacement for eg the sqlite3 database in softhsm.
That's what I sometimes get the impression what is wanted. SoftHsm has
one component Softdatabase with an API, which more or less passes sets
of attributes (attributes defined by PKCS#11) and then stores it as
records in sql where each record has a keytype and opaque blob of data.
If that is what is wanted the decision would be how fingrained the pkcs
objects/attribute types would have to be mapped to ldap: one ldap
attribute for each possible attribute type ?

Ludwig