[Freeipa-devel] FreeIPA documentation: getting started & devel docs (FOSDEM takeaways - Software Archaeology for Beginners)

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Tue Feb 25 17:44:34 UTC 2014

On 02/25/2014 01:32 AM, Petr Spacek wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have seen talk "Software Archaeology for Beginners" from FOSDEM 2014
> [1] and I have couple notes:
>
> 1) User docs:
> Make sure that project's documentation tells its own story:
> Documentation is not so useful if it is a bunch of unrelated documents.
> Make sure that there is 'introduction' document starting with project
> description. The 'story' should continue to installation and very basic
> configuration and use cases.
>
> There should not be a 'gap' between steps like missing steps between
> installation and client configuration etc.
>
> We have something like that in RHEL IdM guide. Should we add "Getting
> Started" link to the very beginning of
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Documentation#User_Documentation ?
>
> Maybe the RHEL guide is too huge and scary for 'getting started' so we
> would need to write something/compile it from existing blogs posts etc.
>

> 2) Pictures with a story are nice:
> Diagrams with system components are more useful when they *visualize
> some basic workflows step by step*.

I find diagrams very useful for workflows as well.  They are very useful
when used in combination with your typical architecture diagram.  I used
http://www.websequencediagrams.com to generate workflow diagrams for the
Password Vault design proposal:

    http://www.freeipa.org/page/V3/Password_Vault

I'd recommend trying that tool, as it's really pretty quick/easy to
write the "code" to cretre the diagram, and you don't need to mess
around with an actual drawing program.

-NGK