[Freeipa-devel] What is Changelog on wiki for?

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Mon Jan 27 08:08:53 UTC 2014

On 24.1.2014 18:46, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 01/24/2014 10:39 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>> Martin Kosek wrote:
>>> When working on release, this question comes to my mind every time -
>>> what is
>>> the following page good for? :)
>>>
>>> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Changelog
>>>
>>> To me, it is usually just an annoyance of the release process. You
>>> can simply
>>> get all the data with "git log" derivatives, so I do not see a point of
>>> maintaining this page.
>>>
>>> I see benefits of having shortlog in Release pages like [1], but not
>>> with this
>>> one. I am thus proposing to deprecate it.
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.freeipa.org/page/Releases/3.3.3
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> I used to just cherry-pick the big things then figured that some
>> people care about everything so switched to that instead. Yes, the
>> data is in git, but if one doesn't know git well then it can be hard
>> to tell where something was fixed.
>>
>> I won't yell if it's dropped, but it's just a cut-n-paste after all.
>
> It is internet search-able and can be easily pointed to in different
> follow up materials.
> I would rather keep it, but a wiki formatting script might be a good idea.

Our git repo has nice and responsive web interface:
https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/freeipa.git/

The advantage is that you can read full commit messages so you can see links
to tickets in Trac which are not present in shortlog.

Given that I think that Changelog wiki page is mostly annoyance, it could
simply redirect to repo web interface (may be to listings for specific branches).

--
Petr^2 Spacek