[Freeipa-devel] FreeIPA ConnId connector for usage with Apache Syncope

Francesco Chicchiriccò ilgrosso at apache.org
Fri Jan 31 13:17:05 UTC 2014

On 31/01/2014 12:52, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 01/31/2014 05:03 AM, Martin Kosek wrote:
>>> Actually, a RESTful interface (HTTP/JSON) would better suit our development
>>> model and deployment scenarios.
>> FreeIPA does not have (currently) not RESTful interface (though it is being
>> partially designed in [8]). However it has a Kerberos-protected
>> JSON-RPC/XML-RPC interface used by clients or Web UI to communicate with the
>> server.
> I suggest that you look at the implementation of [8] and create a user
> provisioning smart proxy similar to it.
> This proxy would expose the REST API that can be consumed by your
> connector or some other system and will be a part of IPA.
> Internally proxy will call JSON RPC against IPA and have all the
> "busyness logic".
> So the recommendation is to make your connector lightwight and leverage
> a proxy that can be reused by other systems.

Are you saying that we should split our development in two:

(1) smart proxy, exposing the RESTful interface, developed on the basis
of [8]

(2) actual ConnId connector, dealing with the proxy above for
implementing its own logic

If so, could you please point to the source code of [8]?
Will then this eventually become part of FreeIPA?

I am actually not sure if it is "lightweight" connector could actually
be better than a "loaded" connector (e.g. without proxy), from a
deployment point of view, unless you are saying either that (a) a smart
proxy is already available that can be reused or that (b) incorporating
the smart proxy that we are going to develop into FreeIPA will easily
happen.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PPMC
http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/