[Freeipa-devel] Reorganization of Web UI navigation items

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Tue Jun 3 07:54:06 UTC 2014

On 06/02/2014 03:59 PM, Petr Vobornik wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> the purpose if this mail is to start a discussion about reorganization of
> navigation items. Users are not fond of such change so we should come up with a
> solution which would last for some time.
>
> Problem:
> UX recommendation is that one menu level should contain maximum of 7 items. We
> have 10 items in Identity, 7 in Policy and 7 in IPA Server. Basically we
> reached max. capacity of all 1st-level items.
>
> Solution:
> Introduce new 1st-level items and redistribute 2nd-level items.
>
> Initial Draft:
>
> Identity (6)
> - Users
> - Groups
> - Hosts
> - Hostgroups
> - Netgroups
> - Services

ok, though I have different division in mind.

> Policy (5)  some better name?
> - HBAC
> - SUDO
> - Automount
> - Automember
> - SELinux User Maps

I am not sure about Automount, SUDO and Automember as they are not so about
policy related to users but rather about central storage for native Linux
services - similarly to DNS.

> Authentication (4)
> - Radius Server Proxy
> - OTP Tokens
> - Password Policy
> - Kerberos Ticket Policy

Hm, "Policy" is indeed strange.

> Infrastructure (6)  some better name?
> - DNS
> - Realm Domains
> - Trust
> - ID Ranges
> - Certificates
>
> Permissions (3)
> - Role Based Access Control
> - Self Service Permissions
> - Delegation
>
> Configuration (1)
> - Global

Let me twist your proposal a bit and come to it from different way, i.e.
thinking about what admin wants to do. If he wants to set up a user, he should
not need to go to 2 different top level items.

Users
- Users
- Groups
- OTP Tokens