[Freeipa-devel] User life Cycle: referential integrity

thierry bordaz tbordaz at redhat.com
Wed Jun 4 15:46:47 UTC 2014

Hello,

    I am looking at the appropriate way to configure DS referential
    integrity and I am hitting some issues about its scoping and which
    attributes need to be preserved.

    User A  and B are both  Active. User A refers user B for example
    'owner: <DN user B in Active container>'.
    If entry A is deleted (user-del), it keeps 'owner: <DN user B in
    Active container>'. Do we really want to preserve such attributes
    (owner, member, seeAlso...) in case the user is coming back
    (user-undel) ?
    If it makes sense we may achieve this if we extends RI to both
    'Active' and 'Delete' container.
    If we prefer to remove such attributes, then 'user-del' is a MODRDN
    followed by some MODs or a ADD-DEL where the Delete entry is rebuilt
    from the 'Active' entry.

    This is a similar problem when using 'stageuser-add <id>
    --from-delete', the references may become invalid (unless RI also
    covers Staging).

    An option would be to accept to have invalid references in 'staging'
    and 'delete', but when the entry is stageuser-activate/user-undel
    the reference are checked and removed if invalid. Here invalid
    means, the referred entry does not exist or is not 'Active'.

    thanks
    thierry