[Freeipa-devel] Reorganization of Web UI navigation items

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Wed Jun 4 20:10:16 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-06-04 at 20:52 +0200, Martin Kosek wrote:
> On 06/04/2014 05:35 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:

> >> Alternatively, we could rename Policy to "Authorization" as both HBAC and
> >> SELinux is about authorizing what an authenticated user can do. We would just
> >> need to move Automember to different place, though this one is difficult - it
> >> relates both to Users and Hosts, just like Netgroup.
> >
> > I do not see the need to do Policy -> Authorization but Automember is in
> > the wrong place imo.
> >
> > The first tab should be Users -> Accounts and include automember in it
> > as automember is about groupings ?
> >
> > Actually I would merge the current Users and Hosts tabs into
> > 'Accounts' (or maybe 'Identities' ?) and add Automember.
> >
> > Simo.
> >

> Automember is about grouping both users and hosts. I put it under Policy
> originally as it basically is a policy, when are certain users/hosts automember'ed.
>
> I would personally not merge Users and Hosts top level menus to one top level
> menu as that would spoil the whole reason why this effort is done, i.e. have at
> most 7 items in the second level bar to make things clearer.
>
> To me, it seemed a good idea to split Users and Hosts to achieve the target as
> it separates well the intent what one wants to do. Now we have it all under
> Identity (including DNS and Realm Domains) which is messy.

Unfortunately some of your groupings make little sense to me:
- why is SUDO under Users ??
It's a security policy and those policies are equally related to users,
groups and hosts.
- why "policies" are under authentication ?
Both password policies and Kerberos Ticket policies have nothing to do
with the authentication part, but with changing password and with which
features are allowed on tickets.
- why automember is in Policy ?
It is just autoconfiguration it doesn't enforce any policy on its own

> But I am pretty open to counter-proposals which keeps the UX requirement of 7
> second level items.
>
> Martin

This is how it makes sense to me as a logical grouping:

Accounts/Identity (7):
- Users
- Groups
- Hosts
- Host Groups
- Netgroups
- Services
- Automember

^ These are all identity or identity-grouping related objects/actions

Policies (6):
- Sudo
- HBAC
- SELinux User Maps
- OTP Tokens (*)
- Password Policies
- Kerberos ticket Policies

^ These are all Security Policies an admin cares about

Directory (6):
- Permissions
- Privileges
- Roles
- Delegation
NOTE: the 4 above can be merged into a single 'Authorization' entry
perhaps
- Replication Topology
- Views (future)

^ Everything that deals with direct LDAP access/view

Network Services (4):
- Automount
- DNS
- CA
- Vault (future)

^ All the additional network services or configuration of network
related services

Configuration (3):
- Trusts
- ID Ranges
- Realm Domains
- Global

^ Anything that does not fit the above categories.

Docs:
- whatever :)

(*) The only doubt I have is about OTP Tokens, it may be worth taking
them off Policies and putting them into a new tab which in future may
also sport a pointer to user certificates management:

Authentication:
- OTP Tokens
- User Certificates (future)

HTH,