[Freeipa-devel] Reorganization of Web UI navigation items

Petr Vobornik pvoborni at redhat.com
Mon Jun 9 14:08:50 UTC 2014

On 5.6.2014 23:15, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 06/04/2014 04:10 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:

>>> Automember is about grouping both users and hosts. I put it under Policy
>>> originally as it basically is a policy, when are certain users/hosts
>>> automember'ed.
>>>
>>> I would personally not merge Users and Hosts top level menus to one
>>> top level
>>> menu as that would spoil the whole reason why this effort is done,
>>> i.e. have at
>>> most 7 items in the second level bar to make things clearer.
>>>
>>> To me, it seemed a good idea to split Users and Hosts to achieve the
>>> target as
>>> it separates well the intent what one wants to do. Now we have it all
>>> under
>>> Identity (including DNS and Realm Domains) which is messy.
>> Unfortunately some of your groupings make little sense to me:
>> - why is SUDO under Users ??
>> It's a security policy and those policies are equally related to users,
>> groups and hosts.
>> - why "policies" are under authentication ?
>> Both password policies and Kerberos Ticket policies have nothing to do
>> with the authentication part, but with changing password and with which
>> features are allowed on tickets.
>> - why automember is in Policy ?
>> It is just autoconfiguration it doesn't enforce any policy on its own
>>
>>> But I am pretty open to counter-proposals which keeps the UX
>>> requirement of 7
>>> second level items.
>>>
>>> Martin
>> This is how it makes sense to me as a logical grouping:
>>
>> Accounts/Identity (7):
>> - Users
>> - Groups
>> - Hosts
>> - Host Groups
>> - Netgroups
>> - Services
>> - Automember
>>
>> ^ These are all identity or identity-grouping related objects/actions
>
> +1

What are the chances that we will add some other identity to manage in a
future?

>> Policies (6):
>> - Sudo
>> - HBAC
>> - SELinux User Maps
>> - OTP Tokens (*)
>> - Password Policies
>> - Kerberos ticket Policies
>>
>> ^ These are all Security Policies an admin cares about
>
> +1, with the note, i.e. OTP does not belong there
>

>> Directory (6):
>> - Permissions
>> - Privileges
>> - Roles
>> - Delegation
>> NOTE: the 4 above can be merged into a single 'Authorization' entry
>> perhaps
>
> May be it should be and "Administration" tab, I do not like the title. I
> understand where the directory comes from but this is IMo not intuitive
> for someone who does not know what is under the hood.
>> - Replication Topology

+1 that they should be together. They configure the "tool" and not
"data". Current "IPA Server" item name may be more suitable.

>> - Views (future)
>>
>> ^ Everything that deals with direct LDAP access/view
>

> I think views do not belong here. They belong in the same place where
> the trusts are.
>

>> Network Services (4):
>> - Automount
>> - DNS
>> - CA
>> - Vault (future)
- Radius Server Proxies

>> ^ All the additional network services or configuration of network
>> related services
>
> +1
>

>> Configuration (3):
>> - Trusts
>> - ID Ranges
>> - Realm Domains
>> - Global
- OTP Tokens ?

>> ^ Anything that does not fit the above categories.
>
> +1
>

>> Docs:
>> - whatever :)
>>

>> (*) The only doubt I have is about OTP Tokens, it may be worth taking
>> them off Policies and putting them into a new tab which in future may
>> also sport a pointer to user certificates management:
>
> Yeah, may be for now we put OTP as a top level for now and have tokens
> and create a RADIUS page to manage radius proxies?

We already have "RADIUS Servers" menu item for Radius s. proxies. Martin
forgot it in his proposal.

> In future when we add other credentials we can rename it and add smart
> card related options.
>

>> Authentication:
>> - OTP Tokens
>> - User Certificates (future)

With "Documentation", "Authentication" would be the 7th top level item.
Ideal number of top level items is about 5-6. Because we have to fit
into 768px (minimum screen size before it's switched to compact menu).
This functionality is provided by PatternFly.

Also take into considerations that languages such as Spanish have much
longer expressions.

--
Petr Vobornik