[Freeipa-devel] Reorganization of Web UI navigation items

Petr Vobornik pvoborni at redhat.com
Fri Jun 27 17:27:35 UTC 2014

On 2.6.2014 15:59, Petr Vobornik wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> the purpose if this mail is to start a discussion about reorganization
> of navigation items. Users are not fond of such change so we should come
> up with a solution which would last for some time.
>
> Problem:
> UX recommendation is that one menu level should contain maximum of 7
> items. We have 10 items in Identity, 7 in Policy and 7 in IPA Server.
> Basically we reached max. capacity of all 1st-level items.
>
> Solution:
> Introduce new 1st-level items and redistribute 2nd-level items.

It would be great to get this into 4.0, resuming the discussion. My
proposal which takes into account various other proposals:

Identity (7)
   - Users
   - User Groups
   - Hosts
   - Host Groups
   - Netgroups
   - Services
   - Automember
     - User group rules
     - Host group rules
Policy (5)
   - Host Based Access Control
     - HBAC Rules
     - HBAC Services
     - HBAC Service Groups
     - HBAC Test
   - Sudo
     - Sudo Rules
     - Sudo Commands
     - Sudo Command Groups
   - SELinux User Maps
   - Password Policies
   - Kerberos Ticket Policy
Authentication (3-4)
   - Certificates
   - (future) User Certificates
   - OTP Tokens
   - RADIUS Servers
Network services (2-3)
   - Automount
   - DNS
     - DNS Zones
     - DNS Forward Zones
     - DNS Global Configuration
   - (future) Vault
IPA Server (5-7)
   - Role Based Access Control
     - Roles
     - Privileges
     - Permissions
     - Self Service Permissions
     - Delegations
   - ID Ranges
   - Realm Domain
   - (future) Replication Topology
   - Trusts
     - Trusts
     - Global Trust Configuration
   - (future) Views
   - Configuration
(future) Help
- Docs
- API
- ...

Mostly it's a response to the last proposal:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-devel/2014-June/msg00107.html

You can check live version at: http://pvoborni.fedorapeople.org/ui/

 From the earlier discussion I would say, that there was an agreement on
Identity and Policy tabs which are very similar to current implementation.

Simo had a proposal to introduce "Authentication" tab in a future. I
guess we can do it now. We already have radius server proxies and
certificates are also related. It will solve the "OTP doesn't fit
anywhere problem"

I've kept the "Network Services" tab because IDK where to put DNS and
Automount :)

Simo's 'Directory' and 'Configuration' were merged into existing 'IPA
server' with the difference that all RBAC related stuff is under one
item (this option was mentioned by Petr3). Btw RBAC === "Existing items
in 'Directory'". The label is 'IPA Server' because almost everything is
related to configuration of the server itself maybe with exception of
Trust and Views. Label 'Configuration' is too general. Label Directory
was quite low-level as pointed out by Dmitry.

This merge allows us to add 'Help' in a future.

It would be good to move something into "Network services" (and maybe
rename it) since it has only two(three in future) items.
--
Petr Vobornik