[Freeipa-devel] Planning FreeIPA 4.0 GA

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Fri Jun 27 17:49:30 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-06-27 at 19:19 +0200, Petr Vobornik wrote:
> On 27.6.2014 19:00, Simo Sorce wrote:

> >> Endi found that with TOTP we don't yet enforce a requirement to prevent
> >> reuse of OTP code multiple times within the same time step (you are able
> >> to login with TOTP and reuse it for password change within 30 seconds,
> >> for example). RFC3268 part 5.2 clearly says that the verifier MUST NOT
> >> allow this behavior.
> >>
> >> I'll look into this case on Monday but so far this is a release blocker.
> >
> > This is a well known limitation.
> >
> > The reason we allow for it is due to performance issues with replication
> > if we did so, we do not have a good way to mark used values in a
> > distributed fashion.
> >

> > It's for the same reason that we have not implemented HOTP yet.
>
> Not entirely true:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-devel/2014-January/msg00069.html

I should probably have said we have not implemented it *for* HOTP.

That said using HOTP is not really something I would recommend at this
point as each authentication will cause a replication event to be fired.
That is probably ok if you have very few users/authentications, but in
large domains it would quickly be problematic.

Responding to Alexander, yes we need to document that we have this
limitation.

Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York