[Freeipa-devel] Planning FreeIPA 4.0 GA

Nathaniel McCallum npmccallum at redhat.com
Fri Jun 27 22:55:35 UTC 2014

On Jun 27, 2014, at 1:49 PM, Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-06-27 at 19:19 +0200, Petr Vobornik wrote:

>>> This is a well known limitation.
>>>
>>> The reason we allow for it is due to performance issues with replication
>>> if we did so, we do not have a good way to mark used values in a
>>> distributed fashion.
>>>

>>> It's for the same reason that we have not implemented HOTP yet.
>>
>> Not entirely true:
>> http://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-devel/2014-January/msg00069.html
>
> I should probably have said we have not implemented it *for* HOTP.
>
> That said using HOTP is not really something I would recommend at this
> point as each authentication will cause a replication event to be fired.
> That is probably ok if you have very few users/authentications, but in
> large domains it would quickly be problematic.
>
> Responding to Alexander, yes we need to document that we have this
> limitation.

+1, we need to clearly document it. I plan to work on this next week.

Just to outline the situation:

We currently implement two features: TOTP and HOTP. We currently only recommend deploying TOTP due to the aforementioned replication issues.

HOTP will not permit key reuse, but TOTP will. We call this feature for TOTP “high watermark.” The reasons for this are twofold.

First, we have a general concern about replication storms when recording the high watermark. We hope to solve this problem in the next release by defining a mechanism for high priority replication and, hopefully, custom replication conflict resolvers to prevent a possible scenario where the counter would move backwards.

Second, when using HOTP, a bug is triggered in SSSD password changing where a token is implicitly used twice in a row. Enabling high watermark support for TOTP also triggers this bug. Fixing this in SSSD is also high on the priority list for the next release.

So, in short, it is a known defect that is not a blocker for this release and that needs to be appropriately documented.

Nathaniel