[Freeipa-devel] DNSSEC design page: key wrapping

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Tue Mar 4 21:38:16 UTC 2014

On 4.3.2014 22:15, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-03-04 at 21:25 +0100, Petr Spacek wrote:

>> It could work ... Can we modify ipa-replica-prepare in 4.0 to add the wrapping
>> key to replica file to make it easier?
>>
>> Can the vault approach work for Kerberos master key? If not, shouldn't we
>> design something universal instead of deferring it again and again?
>
> We can use the same method for the M/K, now that the CA is installed
> before the rest we do not have a chicken-egg issue anymore.
>
>> Another problem is that the PKCS#11 LDAP schema was designed as
>> application-independent but now we are adding very specific key-wrapping
>> mechanism (it is hard to believe that somebody else will implement it).
>
> It could be optional.
>
>> Maybe we can add something like attribute 'pkcs11keyWrapMech':
>> - key is not wrapped if it is not present
>> - key is wrapped if it is present - value determines used mechanism (mandatory
>> mechanism to implement is only 'none')
>
> What is 'none' ?
I mean 'attribute is not present'.

>>> The only unknown here is who adds a new wrapper wen a new server is up
>>> and it publishes the public key in LDAP. For existing servers they can
>>> re-wrap themselves.
>>>
>>> It's a few layers but should not be too hard.
>> I don't fully understand to your proposal but I'm afraid that it will not work
>> for ordinary IPA users. Don't forget that we want to have universal PKCS#11
>> storage usable even for private SSH keys and other stuff.
>
> Well ... TBH I am not really that hot about storing private keys in IPA
> like that, however for people that want to do it they can simply store
> them not encrypted as you proposed above.
>
>> Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> You are right, but I was caring for the DNS keys case, not the user's
> ssh key case, which is hairy IMHO.
There is no difference between DNSSEC keys and any other keys except the fact
that we need shared wrapping key for DNSSEC. Nothing else. Note that SSH
private key is just an example. You can use PKCS#11 as storage for user
certificates used for authentication in Firefox etc.

> I think the private ssh key case is a clear job for the Vault the fact
> sssd might use a pkcs#11 interface to present it to ssh, or the user
> simply pulls it to the local file system is, in my view, an
> implementation detail.
I can see a huge difference. Properly implemented PKCS#11 provides you the
same separation as GSS-Proxy for keytabs. I.e. non-root process will not be
able to extract any private keys.

Also, PKCS#11 is a standard so any application can use it. I don't like
IPA-specific hacks, let's use a standard.

> Although I realize I have not said it explicitly before I am not all
> that happy to have a generic pkcs#11 storage in IPA. Storing *arbitrary
> private* keys in my mind is clearly the job of DRM which has been built
> with that specific use case in mind and has all the appropriate
> protections. Putting unencrypted private keys in the IPA tree is IMHO a
> too high risk.
Oh wait, I think we misunderstood each other. I'm not proposing to store any
keys unencrypted (in IPA)! I only want to design the LDAP schema not to be
IPA-specific, nothing else.

In case of IPA we can always encrypt all keys (when we have vault available).
I hope this clears the misunderstanding.

> I am not against creating a generic schema if we think it may be useful
> for others, but the more I thin of it the less I think we should use it
> for anything but DNS keys and they should be definitely encrypted in
> LDAP and the DNS server machines should be the only ones able to decrypt
> them.
Even if all keys will be encrypted?

> A casual search with directory manager should never yield private keys.
It makes sense. As I said above, all keys should be encrypted when the
proposed schema will be used as part of IPA.

Anyway, should we use vault for key storage from the beginning and do not
spend time on a throw-away schema design etc.?

I can see the reasoning and we don't need two mechanisms for the same thing.

--
Petr^2 Spacek