[Freeipa-devel] FreeIPA ConnId connector for usage with Apache Syncope

Marco Di Sabatino Di Diodoro marco.disabatino at tirasa.net
Fri Mar 7 15:39:31 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Il giorno 03/feb/2014, alle ore 11:41, Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgrosso at apache.org> ha scritto:

> On 31/01/2014 18:57, Dmitri Pal wrote:
>> On 01/31/2014 08:17 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
>>> Are you saying that we should split our development in two:
>>>
>>> (1) smart proxy, exposing the RESTful interface, developed on the
>>> basis of [8]
>>>
>>> (2) actual ConnId connector, dealing with the proxy above for
>>> implementing its own logic
>> Correct
>>
>>> If so, could you please point to the source code of [8]?
>>> Will then this eventually become part of FreeIPA?
>> Quite soon. I would leave it to the team to suggest whether user and
>> host provisioning smart proxies should be a same smart proxy or
>> different so that they can be installed independently from each other
>> but use the same approach. IMO haveing them separately but share the
>> same code and approach will be more valuable to the project. But I am
>> open to other ideas here.
>>
>>> I am actually not sure if it is "lightweight" connector could actually
>>> be better than a "loaded" connector (e.g. without proxy), from a
>>> deployment point of view, unless you are saying either that (a) a
>>> smart proxy is already available that can be reused
>> The idea can be reused as a starting point. IMO the easiest would be to
>> look at the patches and use same machinery but implement different commands.
>>
>>> or that (b) incorporating the smart proxy that we are going to develop
>>> into FreeIPA will easily happen.
>> If done right: i.e. following process and style then yes.
>>
>> Please become familiar with the coding style [9] page on the wiki and
>> other contributer guidelines [10].
>> Also having a design page created as a result of the preliminary
>> investigation would go a long way towards acceptance and quality of the
>> feature.
>>
>> We will gladly guide you on the way if you have specific questions
>>
>> [...]
>
> Ok then, we'll do it as follows.
>
> We are currently experimenting with FreeIPA, to get familiar with technology and options; once we will be confident enough to start the actual work on the connector, we will check the status of the smart proxy patches from [11].
>
> If the implementation status will be close to be ready and about to be included in the official distribution, we will follow the suggestions above and develop a REST-based connector.

We start to implementing a FreeIPA ConnId connector for Apache Syncope. We have to implement all identity operations defined by the ConnId framework.
I would like to know the implementation status of the Smart/Proxy and if we can use it to all the identity operations.

Thanks

> Otherwise, we will instead specialize the CMD connector [12] to feature the FreeIPA command-line interface (as suggested at the beginning of this thread). There will be potentially need, in this case, to include the ConnId connector server into the Syncope deployment architecture, but this is a supported pattern.
>
> Thanks for your support.
> Regards.

>>> [1] http://syncope.apache.org/
>> [9] http://www.freeipa.org/page/Coding_Style
>> [10] http://www.freeipa.org/page/Contribute/Code
> [11] https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/4128
> [12] https://github.com/Tirasa/ConnIdCMDBundle
> [13] https://connid.atlassian.net/wiki/display/BASE/Connector+Servers
>
> --
> Francesco Chicchiriccò
>
> Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
> http://www.tirasa.net/
>
> Involved at The Apache Software Foundation:
> member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PPMC
> http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Dott. Marco Di Sabatino Di Diodoro
Tel. +39 3939065570

Tirasa S.r.l.