[Freeipa-devel] Is CA certificate storage correct?

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Tue May 20 06:28:48 UTC 2014

Hi there,

I checked the update CA Certificate renewal feature design page and one part
seemed awkward to me:

http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/CA_certificate_renewal#Shared_certificate_store

IIUC, when there are multiple iterations of a certificate stored, there will be
one LDAP object with multiple cACertificate attributes, multiple ipaKeyUsage
attributes, ipaKeyTrust, ...

Given that LDAP does not guarantee order, how do I identify which cACertificate
belongs to which attribute?

If I do ldapsearch for some specific ipaKeyUsage and I get this LDAP record
returned, how do I find out which certificate it is? Do I need to go through
all binary blobs, parse them and look which blob matches?

Wouldn't it be better to have just one LDAP entry with one blob, one
ipaKeyUsage, ...? I think it would be then much easier manipulated, LDAP-wise.
Maybe we could store certificates with a timestamp like following?

cn=auditCert-20130520,cn=certificates,cn=ipa,cn=etc,suffix

cn=auditCert-20140520,cn=certificates,cn=ipa,cn=etc,suffix

Would it be easier to manipulate?

--
Martin Kosek <mkosek at redhat.com>
Supervisor, Software Engineering - Identity Management Team