[Freeipa-devel] Status/Question about User life cycle

thierry bordaz tbordaz at redhat.com
Fri May 23 15:18:18 UTC 2014

On 05/23/2014 05:03 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-05-23 at 10:07 +0200, thierry bordaz wrote:

>>> Do we ever want to allow to move a user from active to staging ?
>>>
>>> I can't find a case where my answer is yes.
>>>
>>>   From my POV a user once it leaves staging is either active or deleted,
>>> in my mind there is no reason ever to move a user into staging.
>>>
>>> In what case does it make sense ?
>>>
>>> Simo.
>>>
>> Hi Simo,
>>
>> When moving an entry 'staging' -> 'active', some attributes are set (at
>> least uidNumber,gidNumber, ipaUniqueId). In my mind, those attributes
>> are set for ever even if later the entry is moved 'active'->'deleted'.
>> One can imagine that an administrator is not "happy" with the values
>> computed. For example, he would prefer uidNumber to be computed from an
>> other range.
> No, this is not in play. The reason we have been requested the 'deleted'
> area is for regulatory purposes where the administrators are *mandated*
> to keep users intact *especially* for uniquely identifying IDs.

Ok I agree.
Now I was thinking to an other reason an administrator would appreciate
'active' -> 'stage'.
The move 'stage' -> 'active' requires an approval. Then the policy
changes and some active users now needs an additional approval.
It would be a possibility to return the active user to the staging area.