[Freeipa-devel] User life cycle: question regarding the design

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Mon May 26 05:49:59 UTC 2014

On 05/23/2014 04:55 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-05-23 at 10:13 -0400, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>> This, I believe, has already been covered, but I'm concerned with the
>> (over)use of active/inactive in this discussion.
>>
>> I think use of "inactive" and "active" to describe users might be
>> confusing since there is already an account enable/disable command.
>> This
>> on top of unlock, are there now 3 possible boolean states a user can
>> be
>> in? locked/unlocked, enabled/disabled, active/inactive, plus
>> deleted/active and staged/active?
>>
> Agree, we should only have "ipa user-unstage <username>" and not call
> this operations with words like active/inactive.
>
> User's in the staging area are not inactive, they are *not* users yet in
> the first place.
>
> Simo.

Ok. Let us consolidate the decisions, I think we are now running in circles.
Let me start from Petr3's API proposal which was a functionally complete
proposal and start from there:

On 05/22/2014 10:47 AM, Petr Viktorin wrote:
 > My proposal would be that the move commands use the verb for the target and an
 > option for the source, and add/mod use an option for the container:
 >
 > 1) adding a new user
 > (to active)   ipa user-add tuser ...
 > (to stage)    ipa user-add tuser --staged ...

Ok.

 > (to deleted)  ipa user-add tuser --deleted ...  (*)

Not needed.

 > 2) moving to main
 > (from stage)  ipa user-activate tuser  (**)
 > (from del)    ipa user-activate tuser --deleted

We need both, alternative is Simo's proposal:

ipa user-unstage
ipa user-undelete

I personally like unstage and undelete commands, I would go with those.

 > 3) moving to deleted
 > (from active) ipa user-del tuser

Ok.

 > (from stage)  ipa user-del tuser --staged

IMO staged deleted users should not be moved to deleted container, but simply
permanently deleted. As Simo noted, staged user are not real users, just
incomplete users.

 > 4) moving to stage
 > (from active) ipa user-stage tuser
 > (from del)    ipa user-stage tuser --deleted

None of the commands are needed for the basic workflow.

 > 5) modifying
 > (in active)   ipa user-mod tuser ...

Ok.

 > (in stage)    ipa user-mod tuser --staged ...

Simo did not like this command, I would personally add it. As long as we have
"ipa user-add --staged", we should also have an option to delete and modify
user in staged area.

 > (in del)      ipa user-mod tuser --deleted ...

Not needed.

Is this acceptable for everyone? If yes, the next step would be for Thierry to
update the design page with new proposals.

Martin