[Freeipa-devel] User life cycle: plugins scope for staged users

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Thu May 29 02:09:21 UTC 2014

On 05/22/2014 10:33 AM, thierry bordaz wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     In order to provision staged users (account inactivated) with
>     there initial values:
>
>         /usr/bin/ipa user-add tb20 --to-stage --first=tb20 --last=tb20
>         -----------------
>         Added user "tb20"
>         -----------------
>           User login: tb20
>           First name: tb20
>           Last name: tb20
>           Full name: tb20 tb20
>           Display name: tb20 tb20
>           Initials: tt
>           Home directory: /home/tb20
>           GECOS: tb20 tb20
>           Login shell: /bin/sh
>           Kerberos principal: tb20 at IDM.LAB.BOS.REDHAT.COM
>           Email address: tb20 at idm.lab.bos.redhat.com
>           UID: -1
>           GID: -1
>           Account disabled: true
>           Password: False
>           Kerberos keys available: False
>
>         ldapsearch -LLL -h localhost -p 389 -D "cn=directory manager"
>         -w Secret123 -b "dc=idm,dc=lab,dc=bos,dc=redhat,dc=com" uid=tb20
>         dn: uid=tb20,cn=staged
>         users,cn=accounts,cn=provisioning,dc=idm,dc=lab,dc=bos,
>          dc=redhat,dc=com
>         displayName: tb20 tb20
>         cn: tb20 tb20
>         objectClass: top
>         objectClass: person
>         objectClass: organizationalperson
>         objectClass: inetorgperson
>         objectClass: inetuser
>         objectClass: posixaccount
>         objectClass: krbprincipalaux
>         objectClass: krbticketpolicyaux
>         objectClass: ipaobject
>         objectClass: ipasshuser
>         objectClass: ipaSshGroupOfPubKeys
>         loginShell: /bin/sh
>         uidNumber: -1
>         ipaUniqueID: autogenerate
>         gidNumber: -1
>         gecos: tb20 tb20
>         sn: tb20
>         homeDirectory: /home/tb20
>         uid: tb20
>         mail: tb20 at idm.lab.bos.redhat.com
>         krbPrincipalName: tb20 at IDM.LAB.BOS.REDHAT.COM
>         givenName: tb20
>         initials: tt
>
>     I needed to resctrict the scope of the following plugins:
>
>         dn: cn=ipaUniqueID uniqueness,cn=plugins,cn=config
>         nsslapd-pluginarg1:
>         cn=accounts,dc=idm,dc=lab,dc=bos,dc=redhat,dc=com
>
>         dn: cn=IPA Unique IDs,cn=IPA UUID,cn=plugins,cn=confi
>         ipauuidscope: cn=accounts,dc=idm,dc=lab,dc=bos,dc=redhat,dc=com
>
>         dn: cn=Posix IDs,cn=Distributed Numeric Assignment
>         Plugin,cn=plugins,cn=config
>         dnaScope: cn=accounts,dc=idm,dc=lab,dc=bos,dc=redhat,dc=com
>
>         dn: cn=MemberOf Plugin,cn=plugins,cn=config
>         memberofentryscope:
>         cn=accounts,dc=idm,dc=lab,dc=bos,dc=redhat,dc=com
>
>     In fact I need them to not modify the added entry when it is added
>     under "cn=staged users,cn=accounts,cn=provisioning,$SUFFIX".
>     Now is it possible to limit those plugins scope to the
>     'cn=accounts' part of the tree ? I guess not.
> [...]

The easiest solution IMO is to not treat staging area as an account
area, i.e instead of cn=staging, cn=accounts, dc=... I suggest saving
users in cn=users, cn=staging, dc=...
This way if in future we will have some staging for other objects (for
whatever reason) we will create containers under common "staging" area.
I would also argue that "deleted" should not be under accounts.

Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Sr. Engineering Manager IdM portfolio
Red Hat, Inc.