[Freeipa-devel] Postponing Topology feature

Hi all,

I had several offline discussions about the Topology feature [1] and what to do with it. Many developers worked pretty hard on making the Topology usable for the upcoming FreeIPA 4.2 release, however, it still misses some of the functionality that would prevent our users from making the best of it.

Namely:
1) Dogtag Topology management: https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3053
2) Replica Promotion: https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/2888
3) Graphical topology view: https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/4286

While 3) is mostly an eye candy, without 1) and 2) the current Topology does not have sufficient value for our users to ship it. Also, there could be upgrade issues when 1) is implemented and we may need to introduce another Domain Level.

So what we thought would make most sense for FreeIPA 4.2 is to simply release without Topology functionality and postpone it to next version which could follow FreeIPA 4.2 within 1-2 months.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but don't worry - Topology is not going anywhere, it's coming! (Just a bit later and with more bells and whistles)

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/4302

--
Martin Kosek <mkosek redhat com>
Supervisor, Software Engineering - Identity Management Team