[Freeipa-devel] Provisioning throughput

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Fri May 13 07:42:50 UTC 2016

On 13.5.2016 09:26, Martin Kosek wrote:
> On 05/12/2016 04:16 PM, Ludwig Krispenz wrote:

>>> memberof plugin can be enabled and disabled while the server is running, BUT
>>> to achieve this the "enable-dynamic-plugins" feature has to be turned on. And
>>> then any enable/disable of a plugin would try to do it dynamically an dnot
>>> wait for the restart.
>>> And I think not all plugins are able to handle this, TomasB was once working
>>> on it for IPA plugins, but it was not completed as far as I know
>> but enabling dynamic plugins can be done without restart, so what can be done is.
>> - enable dynamic plugins
>> - disable memberof
>> - do some work
>> - enable memberof
>> - disable dynamic plugins
>
> Please see
> https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/4203#comment:9
> I do not think this will be that easy. We would first need to invest into
> updating FreeIPA plugins to work with dynamic plugins setting and then we could
> do things alike above.
>
> It looks like that for FreeIPA 4.4, we will need to live with DS restart unless
> there is some workaround...

One more thing:

How does it affect topologies with replicas?

I might be wrong, but if memberOf is always computed locally then we have to
disable it on *all* replicas.

If we disabled it only on one replica and not others, the chosen replica would
be way faster than rest of the topology and I'm not sure what would happen
later on.

Thierry, Ludwig, can you comment on this?

--
Petr^2 Spacek