[Freeipa-interest] FreeIPA 1.0 Released

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Fri Apr 25 13:27:47 UTC 2008

The FreeIPA Project (http://freeipa.org) is proud to present FreeIPA
version 1.0.

FreeIPA is an integrated security information management solution
combining Linux (Fedora), Fedora Directory Server, MIT Kerberos and NTP.
FreeIPA binds together a number of technologies and adds a web interface
and command-line administration tools. Currently it supports identity
management with plans to support policy and auditing management.

We were able to achieve most of the planned features[1] for this
release though we had to postpone some of them to later versions we are
very happy about the outcome.

Of the three letters of IPA (Identity, Policy, Audit), we were able to
implement a substantial part of the Identity management. The integration
of Fedora Directory Server and MIT Kerberos provide our framework for
authentication and authorization, the Web UI and the CLI tools allow for
easy and effective administration of Identities. The use of standard
protocols like LDAP and Kerberos allows for easy integration of other
Operating Systems into an IPA realm for centralized Identity Management.

We encourage users and developers to start testing and deploying FreeIPA
in their environments. A very simple installation procedure is provided
and is part of the effort of making these complex technologies simple to
use and friendly to administrators. We encourage people to experiment
and evaluate the current release, we welcome feedback on the overall
experience and bug reports[2].
We also would like to encourage interested users and developers to join
our mailing list and discuss version 2 features and development
directions. We have already identified a number of features[3] and
components we are going to integrate for the next release, and we would
welcome feedback on the perceived needs and problems, as well as
solution proposals and contributions[4].

The complete source code[5] is available for download here:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Downloads

We are also pleased to announce that FreeIPA 1.0 will be available in
Fedora 9 [6] and RPM packages are available for Fedora 7 and Fedora 8 in
their respective repositories [7].

Have Fun!

The FreeIPA Project Team.

---

[1] http://freeipa.org/page/V1PRD
[2] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=freeIPA
[3] http://freeipa.org/page/V2BPRD
[4] http://freeipa.org/page/Contribute
[5] The source code does not include Fedora Directory Server or MIT
Kerberos which are available for the respective websites.
[6]
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/9/FeatureList#head-81923ae2b95ffc70af5c4623a0106615e97a94f1
[7] http://freeipa.org/page/Downloads#Yum_Repo

--