[Freeipa-users] scalability

David Robinson zxvdr.au at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 00:19:13 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Fedora Directory Server supports up to 4-way multi-master replication,
and afaict freeIPA only uses multi-master replication. Does freeIPA
therefore only support 4 freeIPA servers per realm? Is it possible to
setup freeIPA to use a combination of multi-master and single-master
replication to increase scalability (where updates are forwarded back
to a master)? If so, how can this be configured (I assume its not as
simple as just setting up the replication agreements)?

The use-case I'm thinking of is where one has multiple datacentres
(say 5). Ideally you would have two centralized masters (for
redundancy) and two freeIPA servers per datacentre (one as a backup,
but I can't think of a reason they couldn't be active/active). Am I
correct in thinking that 4-way multi-master replication is overkill if
LDAP is only being used for authentication? Would it really matter if
you couldn't change your password from each datacentre?!

Thoughts?

--Dave