[Freeipa-users] Windows Client Problem

Viji V Nair vijivijayakumar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 20:36:32 UTC 2009

Hi,

I did the same, still having the same problem. I know that samba is not
needed for windowsxp to authenticate to freeIPA, as I said kerberos was not
working for me (still trying on it with fresh windows client installation),
so I have done a try with samba (removed samba and did a fresh IPA
installation). Here are the exact steps I have followed.

On the IPA Server.

1. Added host principal and set the password for the xp client

#  ipa-addservice host/bmdata01.testing.com
#  ipa-getkeytab -s viji.testing.com  -p host/bmdata01.testing.com -e
des-cbc-crc -k krb5.keytab.txt -P (asked for the password)

2. On the Client (Windows XP)

a. Installed MIT kerberos windows client

b. Created a user called ipauser

c. Configured kerberos

C:> ksetup /setrealm TESTING.COM
C:> ksetup /addkdc TESTING.COM viji.testing.com
C:> ksetup /setmachpassword <password>
C:> ksetup /mapuser * ipauser

d. Rebooted the machine, after the reboot windows is showing
"TESTING.COM(Kerberos Realm)" in the login screen, but when I enter a
valid ipa user
name it is throwing the following error.

  "The system could not log you on. Make sure your user name and domain are
correct, and then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be
typed using the correct case."

But the kerberos server issuing the tickets, I could see this in logs.  Dont
know what happened, hope I did something wrong, but not getting what went
wrong and where. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Viji