[Freeipa-users] Groups

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Tue Jul 28 20:37:46 UTC 2009

David Christensen wrote:

> When I add a user to additional groups beyond ipausers; groups that were
> manually added, why is the ipa UI showing users belonging to the group,
> but not showing them belonging to the group when I run `getent group
> "groupname"`?  If I just run `getent group` I see all the groups in ipa
> as well as any users that are assigned to them, which shows the users of
> the group that was empty when I ran getent group "groupname".
>
> Any reason why this is occuring?

Is nscd running? It may have cached the group. You can try restarting
nscd or invalidating the group cache with: nscd -i group.

nscd is a mixed blessing. It saves a lot of work for the LDAP server but
can cause lots of grief like this. Fortunately it has a *ton* of knobs
to turn, see nscd.conf for details on tuning your caches (positive and
negative).

rob