[Freeipa-users] slapi-nis installation help

yi zhang yzhang at redhat.com
Tue Oct 6 18:47:37 UTC 2009

On 10/06/2009 11:33 AM, Gary Verhulp wrote:
> Thanks for the response.
> I have the NIS config on the client setup correctly I believe.
> This client was moved from my current NIS domain and works fine.
>
> It's not that the client does not bind to the new FreeIPA NIS domain,
> but rather there is no passwd hash  in the output of ypcat -k passwd so
> it has no way to auth.
>
> garyv at fell:/var/log$ ypcat -k passwd
> ttest ttest:*:1102:1002:Tim  Test:/home/ttest:/bin/bash

have you enabled the IPA nis plug in? By default, this plug-in is
disabled. To enable it, do following on ipa server
1. kinit admin
2. ipa-compat-manage enable -y <plain text password file>
3. ipa-nis-manage enable -y <plain text password file>
4. service dirsrv restart
  where the password file contains plain text password of "admin"
  and dirsrv is the backend DB for ipa
Yi
> br,
> Gary
>

> yi zhang wrote:
>
>> On 10/06/2009 10:36 AM, garyv wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've installed freeIPA  (ipa-server-1.2.2-1.fc11.i586)and have the
>>> base functionality working and I'm quite pleased.
>>>
>>> The problem I'm experiencing is with getting slapi-nis to function
>>> properly.
>>>
>>> Reading other posts in the list I was able to get FreeIPA to serve
>>> NIS maps, and clients to bind to the NIS dom, but no passwords/auth
>>> work for users.
>>>
>>> Any tips on setup/troubleshooting this?
>>>
>> I haven't do any ipa-nis configuration for a while, here is my old
>> notes, they might still work
>>
>>      * NIS client host set up in general
>>
>> This is what RHEL linux should follow.
>>
>>     1. Append the following line in the */etc/sysconfig/network* file:
>>            * NISDOMAIN=mynisdomain
>>     2. Append the following line in */etc/yp.conf* :
>>            * domain mynisdomain server 192.168.0.1 replace ip to the
>>              IPA server IP
>>     3. Make sure the following lines contain 'nis' as an option in the
>>        file */etc/nsswitch.conf*
>>            * passwd: files nis
>>            * shadow: files nis
>>            * group: files nis
>>            * hosts: files nis dns
>>            * networks: files nis
>>            * protocols: files nis
>>            * publickey: nisplus
>>            * automount: files nis
>>            * netgroup: files nis
>>            * aliases: files nisplus
>>     4. restart ypbind and portmap
>>            * */etc/rc.d/init.d/ypbind restart*
>>            * */etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap restart*
>>

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Gary
>>>
>>> on the Client:
>>> root at fell:~$ ypcat -k passwd
>>> ttest ttest:*:1102:1002:Tim  Test:/home/ttest:/bin/bash
>>>
>>> root at fell:~$ ypwhich  -m
>>> passwd.byuid fcds.edited
>>> passwd.byname fcds.edited
>>> netid.byname fcds.edited