[Freeipa-users] Slave Replication

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Mon Sep 28 21:46:53 UTC 2009

David Christensen wrote:

> Since FreeIPA uses FDS for LDAP, there is a limit of four masters in a
> replication configuration.  Is there a documented method for configuring
> master/slave replication?
>
> I want to setup 4 masters in different data centers, and then have
> slaves in other locations to keep lookups local when needed.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

The limit of 4 masters is more a "this is all 389 has certified/tested"
limitation. It may be able to support more but it hasn't been thoroughly
tested.

We don't currently support read-only replicas. It isn't a technical
limitation, as you point out DS supports it just fine, a tool just
hasn't been written. It really opens the world up to some nasty looking
network diagrams so we want to think carefully about what we're doing
before we enable it.

rob