[Freeipa-users] ipa-useradd - setting gid using cli

Tom Brown tom at ng23.net
Thu Apr 15 13:34:48 UTC 2010

> There is currently not a way to directly set the user's gidnumber
> other than the default group for all users (currently ipausers).
>
> Can you provide more details on what your requirements are?
>
> I should add that we're investigating adding support for user private
> groups.

Hi -

Well use case here is that we currently have users who have specific
uid's that are the same over all boxes, this is managed by distributing
password files basically. Now we'd like to bring IPA into the mix to
replace this user administration method but we want to keep uid's the
same across IPA'd and non IPA'd hosts at the moment.

I can achieve that with

ipa-adduser brownb -p Password01 --addattr uidnumber=7296 -f Bobby -l
Brown ??

thanks

ah seems i wrote gui in my inital mail rather than uid - my bad