[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA v2.0 alpha4 replica installation problems

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Mon Aug 16 17:35:33 UTC 2010

Hemminger, Corey Lee. [heco0701 at stcloudstate.edu] wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm a student admin for St. Cloud State University's Business Computing Research Lab, and we run our own seperate network inside the campus network with dedicated internet feeds and hardware for professors research as well as masters and bachelors student research and labs. We have many computers setup for workstations, clusters, clouds, etc... and I'm trying to set up a redundant FreeIPA v2.0 in virtual box to help manage the systems and control access to machines. I have setup the master with no problems, but when creating the replica I run the command "ipa-replica-install -N --setup-dns /var/lib/ipa/replica-file-from-master" and I get this error output. It created the directory fine but is having trouble with the certs. I have disabled the firewalls on both and selinux hoping they would help but still same problem.
>
> [root at earth bcrl]# ipa-replica-install /var/lib/ipa/replica-info-earth.bcrl.stcloudstate.edu.gpg -N --setup-dns --no-forwarders
>
> An existing Directory Server has been detected.
> Do you wish to remove it and create a new one? [no]: yes
> Directory Manager (existing master) password:
>
> Warning: Hostname (earth.bcrl.stcloudstate.edu) not found in DNS
> Configuring directory server for the CA:
>    [1/4]: creating directory server user
>    [2/4]: creating directory server instance
>    [3/4]: configuring directory to start on boot
>    [4/4]: restarting directory server
> done configuring pkids.
> Configuring certificate server:
>    [1/9]: creating certificate server user
>    [2/9]: configuring certificate server instance
> root        : CRITICAL failed to restart ca instance Command '/usr/bin/perl /usr/bin/pkisilent ConfigureCA -cs_hostname earth.bcrl.stcloudstate.edu -cs_port 9445 -client_certdb_dir /tmp/tmp-vemQSV -client_certdb_pwd XXXXXXXX -preop_pin yhiJojW06gxaPrkvOJOK -domain_name IPA -admin_user admin -admin_email root at localhost -admin_password XXXXXXXX -agent_name ipa-ca-agent -agent_key_size 2048 -agent_key_type rsa -agent_cert_subject "CN=ipa-ca-agent,O=IPA" -ldap_host earth.bcrl.stcloudstate.edu -ldap_port 7389 -bind_dn "cn=Directory Manager" -bind_password XXXXXXXX -base_dn o=ipaca -db_name ipaca -key_size 2048 -key_type rsa -save_p12 true -backup_pwd XXXXXXXX -subsystem_name pki-cad -token_name internal -ca_subsystem_cert_subject_name "CN=CA Subsystem,O=IPA" -ca_ocsp_cert_subject_name "CN=OCSP Subsystem,O=IPA" -ca_server_cert_subject_name "CN=earth.bcrl.stcloudstate.edu,O=IPA" -ca_audit_signing_cert_subject_name "CN=CA Audit,O=IPA" -ca_sign_cert_subject_name "CN=Certificate Auth
o!
>   rity,O=IPA" -external false -clone true -clone_p12_file ca.p12 -clone_p12_password XXXXXXXX -sd_hostname zeus.bcrl.stcloudstate.edu -sd_admin_port 9445 -sd_admin_name admin -sd_admin_password XXXXXXXX -clone_uri https://zeus.bcrl.stcloudstate.edu:9444' returned non-zero exit status 255
> [...]

Heh, I guess I didn't fat-finger this after all...

What distro is this?

What version of pki-* and dogtag-* do you have installed? Can you look
at /var/log/ipareplica-install.log to see if there are any more details
on the failure? /var/log/pki-ca/debug would also be a place to look
though be forewarned, it is quite verbose and daunting (and has a number
of red herrings, particularly warnings about cipher failures).

We had some problems creating dogtag clones while creating IPA replicas
in the recent pas and it would fail in the pkisilent step. This may be
another case of that or it may be that our current requires don't pull
in the right set of of dogtag packages.

rob