[Freeipa-users] Problem with FreeIPA and Samba 3...

Stjepan Gros sgros at zemris.fer.hr
Thu Jun 17 09:38:45 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 17:06 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 21:41:08 +0200
> Stjepan Gros <sgros at zemris.fer.hr> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm trying to integrate Samba 3 into FreeIPA domain. After following
> > the instructions given in this mailing list
> > (http://www.mail-archive.com/freeipa-users@redhat.com/msg00111.html)
> > I'm unable to add new users. The ipa-adduser command complains with
> > the following error message:
> >
> > A database error occurred: Object class violation: missing attribute
> > "sambaSID" required by object class "sambaSamAccount"
> >
> > It seems as if ipa-dna plugin isn't working, i.e. isn't adding
> > sambaSID attribute.
> >
> > Here are the relevant entries from LDAP (with mangled domains):
> >
> > dn: cn=Distributed Numeric Assignment Plugin,cn=plugins,cn=config
> > objectClass: top
> > objectClass: nsSlapdPlugin
> > objectClass: extensibleObject
> > objectClass: nsContainer
> > cn: Distributed Numeric Assignment Plugin
> > nsslapd-pluginInitfunc: dna_init
> > nsslapd-pluginType: preoperation
> > nsslapd-pluginEnabled: on
> > nsslapd-pluginPath: libdna-plugin
> > nsslapd-plugin-depends-on-type: database
> > nsslapd-pluginId: Distributed Numeric Assignment
> > nsslapd-pluginVersion: 1.2.5
> > nsslapd-pluginVendor: 389 Project
> > nsslapd-pluginDescription: Distributed Numeric Assignment plugin
> >
> > # sambaGroupType, Distributed Numeric Assignment Plugin, plugins,
> > config dn: cn=sambaGroupType,cn=Distributed Numeric Assignment
> > Plugin,cn=plugins,cn=config
> > objectClass: top
> > objectClass: extensibleObject
> > cn: sambaGroupType
> > dnatype: sambaGroupType
> > dnainterval: 0
> > dnamagicregen: ASSIGN
> > dnafilter: (objectClass=sambaGroupMapping)
> > dnanextvalue: 2
> >
> > # SambaSid, Distributed Numeric Assignment Plugin, plugins, config
> > dn: cn=SambaSid,cn=Distributed Numeric Assignment
> > Plugin,cn=plugins,cn=config
> > objectClass: top
> > objectClass: extensibleObject
> > dnatype: sambaSID
> > dnaprefix: S-1-5-21-2932961863-1130097162-856551529
> > dnainterval: 1
> > dnamagicregen: assign
> > dnafilter:
> > (|(objectclass=sambaSamAccount)(objectclass=sambaGroupMapping))
> > dnascope: dc=example,dc=com
> > cn: SambaSid
> > dnanextvalue: 15277
> >
> > Can someone sched ligth on what's going on, or how to debug these
> > problems? In the log files (/var/log/dirsrv/dirsrv-EXAMPLE-COM) there
> > is nothing useful.
> >
> > SG
> >
> > P.S. dnaprefix has to end with hyphen, but I don't believe it's the
> > problem.
>
> It is not, the instructions in that thread are wrong.
>
> We already debugged them with another user, and there are quite a few
> things that need to be changed.
>
> First of all sambaGroupType is a fixed value, not a counter, so the
> [...]

First, thank you for your help. It saves me a lot of time. And I hope
that I'll document the whole procedure for the others. One important
general question. Are there any changes in FreeIPA 2 that will
invalidate all this procedure?

Back to the main problem, I removed the entries for DNA that were in a
wrong place and after adding DNA configuration for sambaSID in
cn=ipa-dna,cn=plugins,cn=config I can now add users. All the samba
related attributes are added to a new user after I set initial password.

But I can not login using smbclient because samba thinks that the
password is expired. Either I have to set X in samba flags (password
never expires) or I have to properly initialize password related fields
for samba. Setting password fields would be preferable, is it possible
and how?

Easier way (and necessary in case of groups) is to set fixed value when
creating new users and groups. The question is, is it possible to
configure DNA plugin to set fixed value, or there is specialized (or
more appropriate) plugin for that?

SG