[Freeipa-users] Is sssd currently useable with freeipa v2 ?

Sumit Bose sbose at redhat.com
Mon May 3 07:14:26 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 08:41:14PM +0200, Oliver Burtchen wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2010 04:43:22 schrieb Rob Crittenden:
> > Oliver Burtchen wrote:
> > > Hi Stephen,
> > >
> > > I nailed the problem now a little bit down. I think it's HBAC with it's
> > > empty rules in the standard configuration. For me it was hard to
> > > recognize that it prevents every user added with "ipa user-add" from
> > > logging in the server or joined machines (via ssh or console). When I do
> > > a "ipa-client-install --on- master --permit" everthing works fine.
> > > Without the "--permit" I always get a access denied via
> > > pam-configuration.
> > >
> > > Are there any documentations ready for reading/review for HBAC with
> > > freeipa? At least it would be nice to have some short docu what is
> > > necessary. Could you lead me a little bit?
> >
> > You need at least sssd 1.1.1 for hbac to work. I just added a tiny bit
> > of documentation on this yesterday at
> > http://freeipa.org/page/CLI_Overview#hbac
> >
> > It might point you in the right direction anyway. I hope to have more
> > thorough documentation on it available soon.
>
> Thanks for the hint. Just for the record, here are some more Informations:
> http://freeipa.org/page/Concepts_and_Objects#Host_Based_Access_Control

Even more information can be found here:
http://freeipa.org/page/DS_Design_Summary#HBAC_object
This page is basically what I used to implement the IPA HBAC rules in
sssd.

> > The default configuration in hbac uses the model "denied unless
> > explicitly allowed" which is why all your logins failed. We don't
> > currently have any default rules set up, I wonder if we should have some
> > basic ones for demonstration purposes and to sort of bootstrap things.
>
> Well, I played around a little bit and managed to setup rules to allow ssh-
> login. Now I have some more questions:
>
> a) Is it right that I cannot use wildcards or placeholders in the service-
> name? I tried "all" and "*", but only explicite naming like "ssh" or "sshd"
> works.

If the service is empty every service is allowed.

> b) Is it right, that I have to set host and source-host? For me, it doesn't
> work if I do not. My first thought was, if it's not set, it should always
> match.

Please set the source host category to 'all':
 ipa hbac-mod --srchostcat=all YOUR_RULE_NAME

> c) Like a), how to set up a rule for all hosts or source-hosts? Do I have to
> put them all in a hostgroup? If so, than it would be very handy, if ipa could
> manage such group automagically for reference.

There is also a host category and a user category to set:
 ipa hbac-mod --hostcat=all YOUR_RULE_NAME
 ipa hbac-mod --usercat=all YOUR_RULE_NAME

> d) How to setup a rule which restrics services like nfs to the lan (and known
> hosts), but permits ssh from every machine over the internet (unknown hosts)?

You will need two rules one for the service sshd and one for nfs.

> e) Like Simo suggested, finally how to setup an explicit permit all rule for
> testing?

ipa hbac-add --type=allow allow_all
ipa hbac-mod --srchostcat=all allow_all
ipa hbac-mod --hostcat=all allow_all